1) Rabbits are like dogs, they eat their own poo. And they only eat the soft smelly one.
2) In Chinese story, there are Moon rabbits living on the moon. They are associated with mortar and pestle and they mix the elixir of life for the moon goddess. In Japanese version, the Moon rabbits are more practical and they only make rice cake with the tools.
3) 5 years ago, a USA high school student borrow the book Rabbit Suicide from the library and his mother insisted on burning the book, without returning it to the library.
4) The longest rabbit proof fence in Australia was built to prevent rabbits from spreading to the western Australia. But some rabbits jumped across the fence and some dig under it so the fence was an epic fail.
5) Rabbits are associated to Easter because they are a symbol of fertility and birth. And Easter is about Jesus coming back to life.
5 more Ridiculous Facts About Rabbits and Hares
People usually get quite confused between rabbits and hares because not only they look similar, sometimes their names are confusing.
For example the Belgian hares are actually not hare and Jackrabbits is not actually a rabbit.
Rabbit and hare family:
Both rabbits and hares belong to the same order Lagomorpha and family Leporidae and they both have short tails. Hares are usually larger than the rabbits.
The main difference between rabbits and hares is that:
-are stronger built so that they can run away from predators.
-usually have bigger size and higher speed.
-hare babies have hair and are able to see.
-have stronger hind legs than rabbits which allow them to run faster.
-live above the ground.
-not as social and they usually live by themselves.
-have brown fur in the summer and it is replaced with grey fur in the winter whereas hares fur is replaced with white fur in the winter.
-the rabbit babies are blind and hairless.
-are domesticated and often kept as pets while hares are not. Domestic rabbits have diverted into a lot of cute rabbit breeds.
-mostly live underground.
-generally live in group.
Check out more about The difference between rabbits and hares.
What about Belgian hares and jackrabbits?
The Belgian hares are :
-originally bred to be a meat rabbit, a meat source for human.
-believed to be one of the most intelligent rabbits and are able to learn their names. (well my rabbits know their names too)
-the most active rabbit among all domestic rabbits.
The jackrabbit is simply a species of hare. There are several types, such as the black-tailed jackrabbit and the white-tailed jackrabbit.
Last year summer,Summer and Nibs had a fight. It was not the first time they had fought but never had the situation been that serious.
Nibbles on a cone
The two rabbits were sold as girls in the pet shop and when I got home I realise they were both boys!!
I had them neutered after a few months and it seems that they love each other’s company. They were living in the same cage originally, but this was not a good idea. There were a few fights and both rabbits got injured when they were living in the same cage. We then bought another cage to separate them.
Then it went on fine for about 2 months. We let them out together for 5 minutes at beginning then gradually increased the time. But one day, we thought they were cleaning each other like they always do, all the sudden they started fighting and Summer pull Nibbles skin out.
We took him to the vets and they stitched the wound up. Nibs had to stay in the vet and had to be re-stitched the next day as he lived up to his name and bite all the stitches out.
That was where the cone came from. He was on an antibiotic (Baytril) and an anti-inflammatory (Metacam) for ten days.
Rabbits on cones are slightly different to other animals on cones.
Rabbit get very confused when they are wearing a cone. It is not very comfortable for their ears, particularly if they have long ears. Nibs was a bit scared of the cone at first but he became used to it. He still tried to remove it at every possible moment. In my other post, there are some advices for using cone on rabbits and things that need to be aware of when using a cone.
To see what happens to Nibbles later. Read the full story of Nibbles the rabbit on a cone.