1) Rabbits are like dogs, they eat their own poo. And they only eat the soft smelly one.
2) In Chinese story, there are Moon rabbits living on the moon. They are associated with mortar and pestle and they mix the elixir of life for the moon goddess. In Japanese version, the Moon rabbits are more practical and they only make rice cake with the tools.
3) 5 years ago, a USA high school student borrow the book Rabbit Suicide from the library and his mother insisted on burning the book, without returning it to the library.
4) The longest rabbit proof fence in Australia was built to prevent rabbits from spreading to the western Australia. But some rabbits jumped across the fence and some dig under it so the fence was an epic fail.
5) Rabbits are associated to Easter because they are a symbol of fertility and birth. And Easter is about Jesus coming back to life.
5 more Ridiculous Facts About Rabbits and Hares
People usually get quite confused between rabbits and hares because not only they look similar, sometimes their names are confusing.
For example the Belgian hares are actually not hare and Jackrabbits is not actually a rabbit.
Rabbit and hare family:
Both rabbits and hares belong to the same order Lagomorpha and family Leporidae and they both have short tails. Hares are usually larger than the rabbits.
The main difference between rabbits and hares is that:
-are stronger built so that they can run away from predators.
-usually have bigger size and higher speed.
-hare babies have hair and are able to see.
-have stronger hind legs than rabbits which allow them to run faster.
-live above the ground.
-not as social and they usually live by themselves.
-have brown fur in the summer and it is replaced with grey fur in the winter whereas hares fur is replaced with white fur in the winter.
-the rabbit babies are blind and hairless.
-are domesticated and often kept as pets while hares are not. Domestic rabbits have diverted into a lot of cute rabbit breeds.
-mostly live underground.
-generally live in group.
Check out more about The difference between rabbits and hares.
What about Belgian hares and jackrabbits?
The Belgian hares are :
-originally bred to be a meat rabbit, a meat source for human.
-believed to be one of the most intelligent rabbits and are able to learn their names. (well my rabbits know their names too)
-the most active rabbit among all domestic rabbits.
The jackrabbit is simply a species of hare. There are several types, such as the black-tailed jackrabbit and the white-tailed jackrabbit.